Mango Habanero Beer Can Chicken
Main Dish, Holidays and Thanksgiving
2 - 4
Pitmaster Paul S.
BBQ beer can chicken is a popular and delicious method of cooking a whole chicken that results in juicy, flavorful meat with crispy skin. The process involves standing a whole chicken upright on a can of beer and cooking it on a grill or in an oven.
The beer can serves a dual purpose in this cooking technique. First, it helps to keep the chicken moist during the cooking process by releasing steam and infusing it with flavor. Second, it acts as a stand, keeping the chicken upright while allowing it to cook evenly.
Preheat your grill to medium heat (around 350°F). If you prefer, you can also use an oven at the same temperature.
- Remove any giblets or excess fat from the chicken cavity. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
Rub the chicken with oil, ensuring it is evenly coated.
Season your chicken with Crispy’s Mango Habanero.
Plug the hole on top of the chicken with half a lemon. This is so the beer steam stays inside the chicken.
Open the can of beer and pour out about a quarter of it. (or drink it!)
Place the can on a solid surface. You can use a beer can chicken holder if you have one, or you can simply balance the chicken on the can by inserting it into the cavity.
- Carefully lower the chicken onto the beer can, with the can inserted into the cavity. The chicken should be standing upright on the grill or in a roasting pan.
- Place the chicken on the preheated grill or in the oven, using indirect heat. If using a grill, turn off the burners directly beneath the chicken and keep the other burners on medium heat. If using an oven, place the chicken on a baking sheet or in a roasting pan.
Once the chicken reach 158 degrees internal it's time to glaze with BBQ Sauce.
- Cook the chicken for approximately 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F in the thickest part of the thigh, and the juices run clear.
- Once cooked, carefully remove the chicken from the grill or oven. Use tongs to carefully remove the beer can from the cavity (be cautious as it will be hot).
- Allow the chicken to rest for 10-15 minutes before carving. This helps the juices redistribute throughout the meat, resulting in a juicier chicken.
- Carve the chicken and serve with your favorite side dishes.
Don’t forget to give us a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Let us know what you think of this recipe and comment below on what you want to see next.